27 Feb 2013
Two dozen people have been left homeless after fire tore through a block of flats in Scotland.
The blaze started in a pub in Paisley, Renfrewshire, during the early hours of Sunday, causing serious damage to the flats above, which may now have to be demolished.
Nobody was injured but with the blaze generating thick smoke and extreme temperatures the residents were evacuated after seven crews of firefighters were called to The George on Causeyside Street at 3.30am.
Renfrewshire Council said most of the residents had been found temporary accommodation with two families making arrangements themselves.
A statement on the council’s website said the building on the corner of Causeyside Street and George Street had been left “extensively” damaged.
It added: “Building standards officers from the council and surveyors from the owner’s insurance company will be assessing the damage and will decide if the building needs to be demolished.”
Copyright Press Association 2013