24 Aug 2012
Residents had to be evacuated from their homes after a fire broke out in a Dundee fish and chip shop in the early hours.
The blaze in Victor’s Fish Bar, in Blackness Road, broke out at around 2.15am and spread to the roof, with firefighters having to get 26 people out of flats above and adjacent to the building.
No one was injured and Dundee City Council has found temporary accommodation for those affected, according to Tayside Police.
The emergency services were alerted by an alarm in the shop, which was empty at the time. Police and fire crews are keeping an “open mind” about the cause of the blaze until the building is made safe and an investigation can begin.
“As in every case of a fire of this nature, a joint investigation will take place to try and establish how the fire started,” chief inspector Sandy Brodie said.
Copyright Press Association 2012