22 May 2013
Around 500 tonnes of kerosene caught fire at a cooking oil recycling centre.
Dozens of firefighters fought the blaze on Monday night and were able to bring it under control.
No one was injured by the blaze at an industrial estate in Worcestershire, although nearby houses had to be evacuated.
Eight fire engines were at the scene in Barracks Road, Sandy Lane Industrial Estate, Stourport-on-Severn.
An area measuring 36m by 30m was ablaze, which included around a further 60 tonnes of waste oil and five propane gas cylinders.
The contaminated kerosene is now being cleared by Environment Agency workers.
Keith Chance, area commander for Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Our crews were met with a very well-developed fire. The building contained a large amount of flammable material including recycled cooking oil, kerosene and some gas cylinders, and it created quite a spectacular site in the sky.
“The crews did well. We managed to stop the spread of the fire to two buildings despite the intensity of the fire.”
Copyright Press Association 2013