A fire broke out at a carpet retailer in Florida this week after the site’s faulty heating system affected the store’s ductwork.
The blaze at Carpet City at Eglin Parkway and Hollywood Boulevard in Florida’s Fort Walton Beach started when lint and dust in the heating system caught fire, blowing embers through the ductwork.
Firefighters arrived at the store at about 3:30pm when smoke began to fill the store, nwfdailynews.com reported.
fire teams evacuated the Family Dollar site next door as a precaution.
No one was hurt in the blaze. Damage was estimated at $2,500 (about £1,500) to the ductwork.
Effective management of ventilation systems like ductwork should be a crucial part of on-site risk assessments.
Facilities managers and building owners have a duty of care and some legal obligations that require them to make sure ventilation systems are kept clean.
Professional ductwork and duct-cleaning services are the best way to ensure systems are safe.
Copyright Press Association 2014