21 Jul 2014
An overheating lift cable is thought to be to blame for a fire in the tower at the Glasgow Science Centre on Tuesday evening.
HMS Bangor is moored close to the newly reopened building and its crew members managed to extinguish the blaze before fire crews arrived at the scene.
The tower, which cost £5 million to build, re-opened on Saturday after a four-year closure for mechanical repairs. It was not damaged in the fire and was closed when it started. No-one was hurt in the blaze.
There has been no word on when the tower will be open again as an investigation into the fire has yet to begin.
The tower at the science centre is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the tallest freestanding building in the world that has the capacity to fully rotate. Four motors are used to make it turn 360 degrees into the wind.
The building now has an interactive area for visitors and the viewing cabin, which gives tourists a 20-mile view around the city in clear conditions, has been fitted with new technology.
In the past the glass elevators in the tower caused overheating because they were too heavy and there were also problems with a ball bearing that had sunk. Work to correct the problems meant the tower had to close four years ago. It was expected to be open to the public until November 2.
Copyright Press Association 2014