11 Oct 2011
An explosion at a food market in the centre of Manchester led to three people being rushed to hospital with burn injuries.
The victims were close to a kiosk at the yearly Manchester Food and Drink Festival in Albert Square when a gas cannister blew up. One man, aged 38, suffered burns to his face, hands and legs, according to the local ambulance services who took him to Manchester Royal Infirmary.
The other two people who were hurt in the blast were treated at a unit in Wythenshawe for burn wounds on their arms and legs.
The food stall was destroyed in the blast and fire crews had to move quickly to make three more gas cannisters safe when the fire took hold. They used breathing machinery to battle the fire after arriving when the blaze was already well under way.
The spokeswoman added: “Three 20kg propane cylinders had become involved in the fire and these had to be isolated by fire service personnel to stop the incident from escalating.”
Copyright Press Association 2011