12 Aug 2013
A London fire station has issued a safety warning after smouldering barbecues started two fires over the weekend.
The blazes, both in Woodford Green on August 11, have prompted firefighters to issue advice to properly dispose of hot coals.
One blaze started on the course at Woodford Golf Club in Sunset Avenue, while the other was close to the Orchard Estate, Broadmead Road. Nobody was injured.
A Woodford Fire Station spokesman urged barbecue owners to use water or earth to properly extinguish coals.
The London Fire Brigade’s head of operations, prevention and response, Dave Brown, said grass fires can cause much damage to open spaces and wildlife.
Mr Brown added: “They can be avoided by making sure that cigarettes and barbecues are extinguished properly, and that glass bottles are disposed of carefully.”
Dry grass can also be set alight by dumped cigarettes, matches or even glass bottles that can focus the sun’s rays.
Copyright Press Association 2013