16 Aug 2013
Fire crews in both Hertfordshire and the North East were called to tackle kitchen blazes on Thursday evening.
Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to an incident in Redvers Close, off Stansted Road, in Bishop’s Stortford. When the crew arrived just after 5pm, they found that a chip pan fire had set light to the extractor fan, with the melting plastic creating thick smoke in the kitchen.
Firefighters spent around 40 minutes ventilating the kitchen to get rid of the smoke after bringing the pan outside.
Later the same day, firefighters in Darlington were called to a similar incident in the Danesmoor Crescent area of the town.
Two crews from County Durham and Darlington Fire and Rescue arrived at the property just after 11pm to find a fire in an extractor hood in a kitchen.
They managed to clear the smoke with the help of a positive pressure ventilation fan, a spokeswoman for the fire service said.
Copyright Press Association 2013