07 Sep 2012
A fire that broke out at an Isle of Wight hotel was caused by a rooftop fireworks display, an investigation has established.
The blaze happened during a wedding reception at the Ryde Castle Hotel in March when the building suffered major damage and part of it collapsed, though all 50 guests and the wedded couple were safely evacuated.
“While fireworks may be a spectacular way to celebrate a special occasion, there are very real dangers if the proper precautions are not taken, as we saw,” fire service chief fire officer Steve Apter told the Isle of Wight County Press.
The publication said the owner of the Ryde Castle Hotel, Greene King, has now initiated a review of fire safety procedures across all of its hotels, pubs and restaurants around the country.
Greene King’s move was welcomed by the fire officer, who added that other businesses are welcome to ask for safety advice from the fire service.
Copyright Press Association 2012