07 Feb 2013
A man was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a pub kitchen.
The fire started at about 4.25am on Tuesday morning at the Royal Oak in Chipping Sodbury.
Two crews from Yate Fire Station battled the blaze, in Broad Street. Investigations have since concluded that the kitchen fire was accidental, according to Avon Fire and Rescue Service.
A spokesman for the fire department said: “Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two high pressure hose reels and two hand-held extinguishers to put out the fire.
“A positive pressure ventilation fan was used to help clear smoke from the property.”
The man, who was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation, was given oxygen therapy by fire crews before ambulance staff took him to hospital.
All commercial properties and workplaces, including public houses, in England and Wales must have a ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment carried out under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
If the assessment is thought to have been carried out to an insufficient extent, the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or up to two years in prison.
Copyright Press Association 2013