The owners of a pub and its guests have escaped unharmed after a fire ripped through the property.
The Tayleur Arms in Longdon-upon-Tern in Shropshire was left gutted by the blaze, which is thought to have started in the laundry room but quickly spread to the back of the pub.
The fire service were alerted to the emergency at about 2.30am, with crews from Wellington, Shrewsbury, Tweedale, Hodnet, Telford, Oswestry and Newport all helping to bring the fire under control. At its peak some ten fire engines were needed to tame the flames.
The Shropshire Star reported that owners Richard and Eve Harvey escaped with their 14-year-old son Elliot and the guests.
Initially Mr Harvey attempted to tackle the fire with the help of his neighbour Roy Williams. But despite using fire extinguishers, they were unable to stop the fire spreading and retreated.
A statement from the pub on its Facebook page said: “Unfortunately we had a major fire last night at the Tayleur. We are thankful that Richard and Eve and their son escaped and are safe.
“However, everything has gone in the fire. It’s sad. We will obviously be closed for quite some time.”
Shropshire Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed it will launch an investigation into the fire.
Copyright Press Association 2014