26 Aug 2011
An investigation has been launched after three people needed hospital treatment after falling ill at Hamilton Park racecourse in South Lanarkshire.
NHS Lanarkshire said three adults were treated in hospital and had since been discharged and are making a full recovery.
The three, along with eight others, all suffered symptoms including vomiting, diarrhoea, nausea and abdominal pain, with initial investigations suggesting food poisoning.
The health board said no source of the illness has yet been found but they believed it was linked to food the people ate at the racecourse.
A joint investigation has been launched by NHS Lanarkshire’s public health protection team and South Lanarkshire Council’s environmental health services following the incident.
Dr David Cromie, consultant in public health medicine at NHS Lanarkshire, said: “Our initial investigations would suggest [the outbreak] was linked to the food they ate. No organism has been positively identified, as yet.”
He said the health board and council were working closely with the racecourse and their food suppliers as well as Food Standards Agency Scotland and NHS Health Protection Scotland as part of inquiries.
Copyright Press Association 2011