23 Nov 2012
The proprietors of a Hertfordshire wood recycling plant which caught fire a fortnight ago broke safety rules on several occasions, a BBC investigation has discovered.
Fire crews said this month’s fire in Appspond Lane, Potters Crouch, could take weeks to die down.
The firm, Wood Recycling Services Ltd, said the fire could have been accidental, and could have been caused by an errant spark from a firework.
Hertfordshire firefighters said people living close by had experienced inconvenience due to the blaze, which began on 10 November.
Marlene Pincott, a resident, said: “We’re absolutely fuming, we’ve complained to the Environment Agency for years about this site.”
The firm’s director Simon Lupson described the situation as “very difficult for all concerned”.
BBC London reported that there were official concerns about the plant, with EA enforcement notices issued on pollution, fire risk and smoke inhalation risk in the case of a fire.
In a statement, Wood Recycling Services said that while operations at the plant had been suspended until the fire has been extinguished, its current workforce is set to be retained.
Copyright Press Association 2012