29 Jun 2012
A fire at a Lancashire launderette led to the rescue of a 70-year-old pensioner from her flat on Tuesday night.
The fire services were required when clothing caught alight at the laundrette in Langroyd Road, just after 11pm.
The woman, who was unharmed, was rescued from her flat above the business by ladder. The blaze is not thought to be suspicious.
Two other ground-floor rooms and six first-floor rooms were damaged by smoke, while the laundrette was severely affected by the fire, heat and the smoke.
A ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment must be carried out in England and Wales on all commercial properties under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
An inadequate fire risk assessment can lead to a prison sentence of up to two years or an unlimited fine for the person responsible.
Copyright Press Association 2012