28 Aug 2012
Seven people have been left homeless following a fire at a care home in Essex.
Firefighters were called to The Firs, on Thorpe Road, Frinton-on-Sea.
The blaze was caused after a drink was spilt onto a TV set in a common room at the care home. The TV set burst into flames.
Staff and residents were evacuated from the ground floor, and while some of the fire crew worked to put out the flames, others searched for three missing people.
They were found trapped on the first floor and were taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation.
Under the Regulatory Reform Order, a suitable fire risk assessment must be carried out on all commercial properties in England and Wales.
If this is not carried out properly, the Responsible Person could face an unlimited fine or a prison term of up to two years.
Copyright Press Association 2012