10 Apr 2012
The owner of a property that housed an Indian takeaway has been found guilty of breaching fire safety regulations after inspectors discovered that people had been sleeping in the building.
Abdul Mannan was fined £2,400 and ordered to pay costs of nearly £5,800 at Manchester City Magistrates’ Court on March 9 for six offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
The first and second floors of Shabna Tandoori were being used as places for people to sleep when Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service inspected the premises in April 2011.
They also discovered the takeaway had no fire alarm system, no fire doors, no emergency lighting, and that there had been no fire risk assessment.
Assistant chief fire officer Peter O’Reilly said: “This complete disregard for the law, and the subsequent danger to life these premises posed, meant we had no option but to seek action through the courts.
“Let it be clear that failure to meet fire safety regulations will result in Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service taking legal action.”
Copyright Press Association 2012