10 Jul 2013
Restaurants have been urged to make sure kitchen extract ductwork and ventilation systems are kept clean, following a major blaze.
The warning comes after four appliances and 20 firefighters were needed to tackle a fire at a restaurant in Lisle Street, near Leicester Square in central London.
Nine people left the building but were uninjured.
London Fire Brigade took more than 20 calls from the public as the smoke could be seen for miles.
Station manager Charlie Pugsley, who attended the scene, said: “Crews worked really hard in hot conditions to bring the fire under control quickly and prevent it from spreading to surrounding buildings. The fire involved the restaurant’s ventilation system.
“Businesses should make sure their ventilation system is kept clean as a build-up of fat and grease within extract filters can lead to a fire,” he added.
Copyright Press Association 2013