12 Jul 2013
Fire officers are alerting restaurant owners to the dangers of extraction systems after a third fire at London food premises in two days.
An eatery in Green Lanes, Palmers Green was severely damaged by fire in its extraction system on Tuesday. The blaze took hold in ducting used to divert kebab fumes outside.
Monday saw two similar incidents at restaurants in St Johns Wood and the West End involving extraction systems. A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade urged all businesses to check their extraction ducting for blockages of fat and grease that can lead to fires.
The Palmers Green blaze forced four adults and two children out of two flats above the restaurant before fire crews arrived on the scene, while eight other residents in adjacent buildings had to be evacuated.
The brigade was informed of the fire at 11.05pm and 21 firefighters and officers in four engines from Edmonton, Southgate and Hornsey fire stations had it under control by 12.22am.
“Businesses should make sure their extraction system is kept clean as a build-up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire,” an LFB spokesperson said.
Copyright Press Association 2013