26 Mar 2012
A woman suffered smoke inhalation during a fire at a dry cleaners in West Sussex, according to reports.
The victim was treated in hospital following the incident in Chichester’s North Street, which started in a tumble dryer.
Firefighters tackled the blaze, which they concluded was an accident, at the rear of the premises and moved the tumble dryer outside.
The fire happened on March 19, just before 9pm, reported the Chichester Observer.
Following a blaze in any commercial properties in England and Wales, a “suitable and sufficient” fire risk assessment must be conducted under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
The individual responsible for safety can face an unlimited fine or even up to two years’ jail if the fire risk assessment is deemed to be insufficient.
Copyright Press Association 2012