19 Aug 2011
A worker at an industrial unit has died after apparently collapsing inside a chemical tank in the east of Scotland.
Police in Dundee said the man, understood to be in his 30s, was working inside the tank when he was overcome by fumes.
A rapid response team of four fire appliances, a heavy rescue team and paramedics arrived on the scene at Diamond Wheels Technologies in the city.
He was rushed to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee, but staff were unable to save him and he died soon after being brought in.
Two colleagues at the firm, which produces alloy wheels, went into the tank to help him. They were assessed at the scene and taken for further tests but they are not believed to be at risk.
A spokesman for Tayside Police said: “Tayside Fire and Rescue Service made the scene safe and specialist hazardous material officers identified the chemicals involved. All hazardous material information was passed to partner agencies to assist in decontamination and first aid.
“The Health and Safety Executive has been informed and, as with all sudden deaths, a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.”
Copyright Press Association 2011