19 Oct 2011
An accident involving a container of nitric acid has caused 11 people to be admitted to hospital.
The vessel overturned at a materials recovery facility at Lochhead landfill site near Dunfermline in Scotland, with two paramedics and nine employees sent to hospital as a result of fume exposure.
They were transported to Dunfermline’s Queen Margaret Hospital. Ten of the people have since been discharged.
Fife Council’s Michael Enston said the incident did not cause any injuries to members of the wider public.
He added: “The landfill site was closed and the area evacuated as a precaution, with all landfill operations suspended. Lochhead has now reopened but the materials recovery facility remains closed until decontamination procedures have been completed.”
Mr Enston continued: “Investigations into the incident will be carried out over the next few days.”
Copyright Press Association 2011