14 Nov 2011
Jars of Loyd Grossman’s Korma sauce, thought to be contaminated with botulism bacteria, are being recalled after two members of the same family were taken to hospital.
The public has been advised by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) not to eat the sauces over fears they may pose a risk of botulism poisoning, which affects the nervous system.
The sauces have been made the subject of a full recall and are being removed from supermarket shelves.
The FSA said that just one jar from the batch had been contaminated with the bacteria, and confirmed that two members of the same family in Scotland were in hospital.
The recalled 350g-jars have a best before date of February 2013 and bear the batch code 1218R 07:21.
In its statement advising people not to consume jars of the sauce, the FSA said: “Only one jar from the batch is known to have been contaminated with the bacteria Clostridium botulinum, which causes botulism, but the agency is advising people not to eat products from this batch as a precautionary measure.”
The Health Protection Agency (HPA) also revealed that preliminary tests of the used jar identified the toxin that causes botulism.
Botulism is caused by a toxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, which attacks the nervous system.
Copyright Press Association 2011