02 Jul 2012
A grill pan fire caused the evacuation of student halls in Reading on Thursday June 28.
Fire crews arrived at 6.45pm and 30 students were evacuated from the University of Reading halls of residence at St George’s Hall.
The fire was caused by a student cooking bacon on a dirty pan. Get Reading reports that the student became flustered and ran from the building as the fire quickly took hold.
The fire brigade took 90 minutes to put the blaze out, using breathing apparatus at the Halls in Upper Redlands Road on Thursday night.
Halls of residence are covered by the terms of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, which requires the person responsible for the building to conduct a ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment.
Recently staff and student were evacuated at Cambridge University chemistry lab due to a fire.
Copyright Press Association 2012