02 Aug 2013
A restaurant worker was injured as he successfully fought to prevent a fire spreading at Dhaba’s Diner in West Nicolson Street, Edinburgh.
The injured man was taken to hospital in an ambulance after suffering burns to his right arm while using a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.
It is understood the fire was started when a grease pot was ignited.
The Blind Poet pub next door was evacuated when smoke was seen rising up a communal stairwell, and afterwards police cordoned off the road while investigations took place, although it was reopened just after 2pm.
Musician Pete Saunders, 50, was in the Blind Poet practicing for a performance at the city’s upcoming Fringe Festival when the fire broke out.
Mr Saunders said: “It was about 1.15pm and we were just getting everything hooked up when we heard some kerfuffle and saw smoke coming up the stairs. The bar manager told us all to evacuate. When we were outside I saw a man being given oxygen while they were putting him into an ambulance.
“He had bandages all up his right arm. I overheard a lady from the Dhaba Diner saying he had gotten burned putting the fire out and saying he was a hero for doing it.”
George Fyvie, manager of The Blind Poet, said only minimal damage had been suffered to the neighbouring property during the fire.
Mr Fyvie, 37, added: “(He) put the fire out before it could really take hold, but it does look like he was injured in the process. The Dhaba Diner kitchen is under our building but thankfully only a little bit of smoke made it’s way up. Obviously we evacuated just to be on the safe side.”
Copyright Press Association 2013